April 22-28, 2012 is National Infertility Awareness Week
Did you know:
- Infertility is a disease that affects 1 in 8 couples of reproductive age.
- Often there are no signs or symptoms associated with an infertility problem.
- Women and Men fighting the disease of infertility experience many hidden losses including:
- Loss of the pregnancy and the birth experience;
- Loss of a genetic legacy and loss of future contributing citizens to the next generation;
- Loss of the parenting experience;
- Loss of a grandparent relationship;
- Low feelings of self-worth;
- Loss of stability in family and personal relationships;
- Loss of work productivity; and
- Loss of a sense of spirituality and sense of hope for the future.
- There are currently only 15 states that require insurance coverage for infertility treatment, and the laws vary widely.
- There are many ways to build a family:
- Donor Options
- Fertility Medicines
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)/Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
- Living Childfree